S and T Post Banner
Vol. XXVI, 2nd Quarter
April–June 2008

Science Administrator

Dr. William G. PadolinaDr. William G. Padolina was the Secretary of DOST from 1994 to 1999.  He implemented a development agenda that included technological advances in agriculture, manufacturing and services, education program focused on technological systems and industry application, and improvement of research management system. 

He carried on STAND (Science & Technology Agenda for National Development) with focus on specific commodities, products and services identified as export winners.  The Technical Advisory Committees composed of representatives from the private sector was instituted in the RDIs to review R&D priorities and projects and recommend appropriate steps. 

Development of S&T human resources also gained attention through the Engineering and Science Education Project (ESEP), which supported scholars in science, engineering, science education, and technology management.  The Science and Technology Scholarship Act was vigorously implemented alongside parallel programs of the Science Education Institute and other DOST councils.  Four new campuses of the Philippine Science High School system (Diliman, Mindanao, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas) were established.  He also implemented the PhNet project, which linked the country to the Internet. 

Dr. Padolina shepherded the Magna Carta for S&T Personnel through the legislative mill until it became RA 8439 in 1997.

He obtained his BS in agricultural chemistry   magna cum laude from UPLB in 1968, and PhD in botany and phytochemistry from the University of Texas in 1973.  He is author of over 40 technical papers published in refereed journals. 

While serving as DOST Secretary, he was admitted as member of the New York Academy of Science, and was listed in Who’s Who of the Asia Pacific Rim. He is recipient of many awards and distinctions including Academician of NAST, Outstanding Young Scientist [1982], and Ten Outstanding Young Men [1985], among others. He was born on November 15, 1946 in Pasay City.